FirstService Residential Maintenance Assistant in Houston, Texas
Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
The Maintenance Assistant is a key member of the facilities maintenance team and is responsible for performing all necessary maintenance in vacant condos to ensure market ready move-ins. The Maintenance Assistant provides superior customer service, possess detailed knowledge of company policy and procedures, and perform essential functions as they relate to the maintenance and accessibility of the property.
Shift Requirement: Monday to Friday (8:00am to 5:00pm)
- Makes and/or assists with general appliance repairs, carpet repairs and minor A/C and electrical repairs.
- Performs and/or assists with carpentry work, painting and plumbing duties as required.
- Installs appliances and electrical fixtures as required.
- Handles designated service requests within 24 hours.
- Moves appliances, with assistance, using appliance dolly.
- Installs, repairs and re-keys deadbolt locks.
- Assists maintenance in maintaining a clean and orderly shop.
- Adheres to company key procedures.
- Participates in an ongoing property improvement plan and preventative maintenance program.
- Reports any maintenance problems.
- Assists with resident functions as required.
- Must be prompt, on time to work and have good, regular attendance.
- Adheres to and complies with company safety policies and rules and wears personal protective equipment (PPE) as directed. Adheres to OSHA safety standards that are applicable for the safe performance of job.
- Maintains courteous and helpful demeanor with residents, prospective residents, co-workers, vendors, etc.
- Must have mode of communication in which to be contacted at home and to respond in cases of emergency.
- Works on-call, overtime, weekend, holiday and evening work as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by General Manager/Leasing Manager and Maintenance Manager.
Operating Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
Education/Training: High school diploma or equivalency preferred. College level courses in business or hospitality preferred.
- Two (2) to three (3) years of industry experience preferred with knowledge of general maintenance, make-ready procedures, and general grounds care.
- Candidate must be well versed in minor plumbing, electrical, capentry and painting.
- Drywall repair nad painting is a plus.
- Experience working in luxury multifamily communities.
Computer Literacy: Basic command of Microsoft Office, basic command of information system hardware/software is preferred. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Strong customer service, communication and interpersonal skills required.
Physical Requirements: Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to be on feet.
Equipment and Materials Used: General hand tools, electric power tools, appliance dolly, ladders including extension ladder,
A/C cleaning chemicals, paint sprayer, and shampoo machine.
Have constant need (66% to 100% of time) to perform the following physical activities:
- bend/stoop/squat/kneel - Perform routine maintenance/repairs, pick up tools and needed equipment
- climb stairs - Service requests, make-ready needs for apartments located on floors other than ground level
- push or pull - Move equipment, appliances, open and close doors, etc.
- reach above shoulders - Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts
- climb ladders - Perform routine maintenance/repairs
- grasp/grip/turning - Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance and repairs, phone
- finger dexterity - Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance and repairs
- writing/typing - Inventory maintenance, requisition requests, interoffice memos, required maintenance reports
Lifting/carrying (supplies, replacement parts, ladders, etc.):
- over 150 lb. - Rare need (less than 1% of time)
- between 75-150 lb. - Occasional need (1% to 33% of time)
- between 25-75 lb. - Constant need (66% to 100% of time)
- between 1-25 lb. - Constant need (66% to 100% of time)
Note: Lifting and carrying of weights exceeding 50 lb. is often best accomplished with assistance from one or more person.
Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to document maintenance and complete forms, review manuals and operating instructions, read cautionary labels, respond to written instructions from staff and residents. Constant need to see small detail when performing routine maintenance duties.
Frequent need (33% to 66% of time) to see things clearly beyond arm's reach (oversee assistants, observe problems throughout property.)
Hearing Requirements: Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to communicate with home owners, vendors, and staff. Must have listening skills to diagnose needed repairs, etc.
Speaking Requirements: Constant need (66% to 100% of time) to verbally communicate with assistants, home owners, vendors, and staff.
Driving Requirements: Frequent need (33% to 66% of time) to drive; Safe driving and maintenance of maintenance carts; and valid Texas drivers license and automobile liability insurance required.
- Constantly indoors (66% to 100% of time.)
- Frequently outdoors, all conditions, often for extended periods (33% to 66% of time.)
- Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of time) to work in awkward and confining positions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled